After pimples and dark spots, dark circles are one of those skin problems, which impact the way we look. These big and black circles make us look aged and sleep deprived. Though getting dark circles as we age is a common phenomenon, today even the girls in their 20s are getting it, because of their unhealthy lifestyle.
Dark circles are really ugly, and many girls out of us, try to hide them under the makeup. But the question is, for how long? Too much usage of makeup on these circles can only provide a temporary solution to this condition. In order to fix it from the inside, we need to work on the solution. So this article has been dedicated to knowing How to get rid of Dark Circles. But first, let’s dig out the causes of these circles-
Causes of Dark Circles
- Sleep deprivation- Continuous working on laptops during daytime and on smartphones during the night is the most common reason for dark circles. Our eyes are one of the most vital organs and if not given proper rest, they can become dull and irritated, thus giving rise to dark circles.
- Stress- Stress causes hormones to go on a roller coaster ride. Hence, it causes a lot of other problems such as sleep deprivation and hormonal imbalances, which cause dark circles and other problems.
- Tiredness and exhaustion- Exhausting your body more than the threshold living, can cause a lot of skin problems such as pimples, wrinkles as well as dark circles.
- Hormonal imbalances- Certain hormonal problems such as PCOD, Menopause, PMS can disrupt the levels of estrogen, which is known to cause bluish or reddish circles around the eyes.
- Constant itching and rubbing – Some skin conditions such as eczema, makes the patient rub their eyes again and again. This irritates the eyes and makes the surrounding skin red. Hence, it appears as if the person has dark circles.
- Skin irritants in makeup products– A lot of chemicals in our makeup products damage our skin if not removed properly before sleeping.
- Exposure to the sun – Continuous exposure to the sun without the use of sunscreen can damage the thin skin around your eyes and hence give way to dark circles.
- Aging- When we age, our skin becomes thin and loses its tightness. The skin around our eyes is already thin,and that is why when we age, we get wrinkles and dark circles around the eyes.
- Genetics- Some people have bluish circles around their eyes, which are inherited through genes. So basically your genes can also be a cause of your dark circles.
Apart from this smoking, drinking and the absence of healthy foods from the diet which provides vitamins especially vitamin B12, can also cause dark circles at an early age.
How to Get Rid Of Dark Circles
Oils are very beneficial for the skin and help in preventing a lot of skin conditions. The skin around the eyes is delicate and hence should be nourished with natural ingredients.
In order to get the benefit of oil to the skin, take a small amount of oil and using your fingers, gently massage the area for around 5-10 minutes. Leave it overnight so that the essential fat is absorbed by the skin. Regular usage of this remedy will reduce the appearance of dark circles.
Raw potato has already been discussed as a bleaching agent in a lot of articles already. It is one of the easiest and cheapest remedies for dark circles. In order to use it as a remedy for dark circles, grate a potato and extract its juice. With the help of a cotton ball, apply it on your dark circles and leave for at least 10-15 minutes and wash off with cold water. This remedy will definitely lighten your circles.
Lemon Juice is known for its skin lightening properties. It is easily available and can help out in removing the dark circles, without any side effects. All you have to do is to squeeze out some lemon juice and apply it on the affected area. Leave for around 15 minutes and then rinse off the juice. Alternatively, you can mix both potato juice and lemon juice for the treatment of dark circles.
Everyone out of us has seen posters of ladies, with cucumber slices on their eyes. There’s a valid reason why cucumber is used for the eyes. Firstly, it is very soothing for the eyes because of its cooling properties. Secondly, it contains antioxidants, which are beneficial for the skin. Apart from this, it also has a hydrating effect on the skin. So if you are suffering from dark circles, regular usage of cold cucumber slices for at least 15 minutes a day on the eyes.
5.Cold tea bags
Cold tea bags are another excellent remedy for the stubborn dark circles. The caffeine present in tea bags shrinks blood vessels around the eyes and reduces fluid retention in the surrounding tissues. This makes the skin around the eyes look vibrant. This remedy is also helpful in removing the puffiness around the eyes. In order to use this remedy, all you need to do is to take two already soaked tea bags, refrigerated for 10 minutes. Place them on each eye for around 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water and repeat 2 times a day to see effective results.