All of us want long, thick and shiny hair and we get really depressed when we lose too many strands of hair.3 out 5 women are suffering from hair issues such as-
- Dry and damaged hair
- Frizzy hair
- Brittle hair
- Gray Hair
While some of these may be due to heredity, lifestyle or skin problems, a lot of these are also due to our poor haircare routine. If we want a beautiful mane, then we should take care of it and nourish it properly.
Below is a list of tips and recommendations which will help you achieve healthier tresses-
Hairwash is something very crucial for hair health, as it removes the dirt and oil away. But did you know that overwashing hair can actually do more harm than good to your hair?
A lot of shampoos nowadays are loaded with harmful chemicals and sulfates, which leach out all the oil and moisture from our hair and make them dry, brittle and lifeless.
- Wash hair twice a week and not more than that.
- Before washing your hair, make a habit of oiling your hair.
- Buy a gentle shampoo which does not contain sulfates or parabens.
Well, this is one of the most irritating things to do. Most of us detangle our hair in a hurry. This habit of yours is really harmful to your hair. Wet hair is very fragile and hence need to be detangled carefully and gently.
- It is advised to choose a wide-toothed comb for detangling your hair.
- Always use a hair serum or spray before starting the detangling process.
- Don’t detangle your hair in a hurry. Always work gently on your hair. Use your fingers to separate any tangled hair and don’t comb through your hair harshly.
Due to our busy schedules, we have started getting more used to blow dryers. But did you know that blow dryer can damage your hair follicles? Some blow dryers are actually the main cause of dry and brittle hair. So the solution is? Whenever possible let your hair dry up on their own. You can go out in sunlight or under a fan to dry them up.
- Minimise use of blow dryers.
- Use a towel which is made of microfibers, as fabric towels are harsh for hair and can lead to split-ends.
- While wrapping your hair with a towel and drying them up with it, be gentle and don’t rub it on your hair coarsely.
Since shampooing removes natural oils from our hair, it is recommended to condition your hair after washing. Deep conditioning once a week is very crucial for your hair. Conditioning does not mean that you need to buy expensive conditioners only. You can use home remedies to condition your hair such as Aloe vera, Yogurt, coconut oil, Banana mask, etc.
Rinsing hair with ACV
Did you know that rinsing your hair with Apple Cider vinegar once a month can add up to your hair’s beauty?
ACV adds shine to hair, cleans them and removes dandruff. So if you have ACV at your home, start using it as a rinse while washing your hair. Remember to always dilute the ACV in water. If using 1 part of ACV, dilute it using 3 parts of water.
Some other tips for hair health-
- Don’t wash your hair with hot water-as it damages your hair and makes them dry. Use cold water while washing your hair.
- Avoid using straighteners, curlers and other heat devices on your hair as they do irrecoverable damage to hair. You can curl your hair naturally. Check this article to know how-How to Curl your Hair without Heat and Curling Iron
- Go for hair coloring on a rare basis as too much color can damage your hair.
So here’s a short summary of how you should perform your haircare routine-
1. Pre-conditioning- Moisturize and condition your hair with deep oil therapy before going for a hair wash and keep the oil overnight or at least 2 hours before wash. Wrap a towel dipped in hot water on your hair for these hours.
2. Hairwash- Use a gentle shampoo while washing and try to use only a required amount of shampoo and not too much of it.
3. Conditioner-Use a good conditioner and leave it on your hair for at least 5 minutes before rinsing. Use cold water for rinsing.
4. Serum-After drying your hair and before detangling them, apply a serum on your hair so that you lose less hair while detangling and so as to make the process easier for yourself.